- Population: 71.1 million
- Capital: Ankara
- Major languages: Turkish
- Major religions: Islam
- Monetary unit: New Turkish lira
- More useful information about Turkey can be found here
- Visa: A visa is required for British nationals to enter Turkey. British citizens may obtain a multiple entry visitor’s visa valid for 90 days at the port of entry on payment of ten pounds sterling in cash. Please visit www.fco.gov.uk for more information.
- Arrival info: Genctur offers pre-camp preparation days, 3 days before each camp in Istanbul (fee US$50). The aim is to meet other participants and is an introduction to Turkey and its culture. The fee covers board and accommodation in a youth hostel, museum entrance fees and a boat trip on the Bosphorus. If you are interested in joining, please contact the office for more details. If not,date of arrival is the start date scheduled for the project.
- Other: a selection of projects is open to volunteers aged 16 and 17.
TYPES OF PROGRAMMES
PHOTOS, NEWSLETTER, VIDEOS AND BLOGS
- GENCTUR is a non-governmental organisation that has been providing voluntary projects for nearly 15 years. Genctur believes that volunteer work reduces prejudice and builds international understanding. Those projects offered in Turkey also allow the volunteer to become acquainted with the problems and potentials of a developing country through first hand experience.
- GSM -Youth Services Centre is a non-governmental and non-profit youth organization founded by a group of young people in 1985 in Ankara.Their main aim is to support common understanding, peace, friendship and intercultural learning among young people coming from different cultural backgrounds by organizing international youth activities. They believe that these intercultural activities give a space to young people to share their experiences and own cultural richness, which could help young people to break down barriers and prejudices.