- Population: 6,8 million
- Capital: Lome
- Major languages: French
- Major religions: Indigenous beliefs, Christianity, Islam
- Monetary unit: CFA Franc
- More useful information about Togo can be found here
- Visa: UK citizens will require a visa to enter Togo. There is no Togolese Embassy in the UK; the nearest Embassy is in Paris. A vaccination certificate against yellow fever is also required. Please visit www.fco.gov.uk for more information.
- Arrival info: Volunteers must meet in Kpalime on the morning of the start-date of the project. ASTOVOCT can arrange pick-up from the airport on request and on provision of travel details. It is possible to stay in the ASTOVOCT office 1 day before and 1 day after the project.
- Project languages are French and English and volunteers should be able to speak at least some French.
- Extra fees for Astovoct projects are 183 euros, payable on arrival.
- The death of the president in 2005 was followed by a period of high social and political upheaval. Although the situation is currently stabilised, this could be liable to change. Volunteers interested in participating in projects in Togo should be flexible and ensure that they keep informed on a regular basis through the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website www.fco.gov.uk.
TYPES OF PROGRAMMES
- North South
PHOTOS, NEWSLETTER, VIDEOS AND BLOG
- Association Togolaise des Volontaires au Travail(ASTOVOT) Founded in 1961 by a group of Protestant teachers, it aims to give practical assistance to rural communities, to encourage voluntary work and to develop relations at a national and international level.