- Population: 5.72 million
- Capital: Bishkek
- Major languages: Kyrgyz, Russian
- Major religions: Islam, Christianity
- Monetary unit: Som
- Find more useful information about Kyrgyzstan here
- Visa: required. Recommended to obtain one prior to departure. Please visit www.fco.gov.uk for more information.
- Arrival info: date of arrival is the start date scheduled for the project.
TYPES OF PROGRAMMES
PICTURES, VIDEOS AND REPORTS
- Youth Volunteer Organization Leadership Non-profit, non-governmental, community-based organization located in a regional centre of eastern Kyrgyzstan. Founded in 1991, Leader provides a wide array of services for eastern Issyk-Kul Oblast, and Karakol City in particular, including an active volunteer centre, a community internet access and training centre, assistance for organizations and individuals designing projects, a Microcredit centre, and numerous seminars for assisting other NGOs in their own development. Their aim is to develop the civic leadership and potential of non-commercial organisations and initiative groups, and empower them in the construction of civil society. Leader’s Volunteer Centre has been the focal point of volunteer activities in Karakol for 7 years. Their volunteers, all local school children and university students, have participated in a wide range of activities, including assisting in the work of local NGOs, teaching English and computer literacy, cleaning up the local beach on Lake Issyk-Kul, and numerous other activities. They are now looking forward to broadening their scope, and introducing their own volunteers to the opportunities for service and travel that await abroad.