- Population: 21.8 million
- Capital: Accra
- Major languages: English, African languages including Akan, Ewe
- Major religions: Christianity, indigenous beliefs, Islam
- Monetary unit: Cedi
- Find out more useful information about Ghana here
- Further reading can be found here
- Visa: required. This needs to be applied for in good time and can be obtained from the Ghanaian High Commission in London. If not provided already, contact us for details of references and the type of visa you require. Also, please visit www.fco.gov.uk for more information.
- Arrival info: the extra fee for VOLU projects is 200 euros and 300 euros for participation in multiple projects. Volunteers will be picked up from the airport.
- Vaccination Certificate: You will be asked to produce a yellow fever vaccination certificate on arrival in the country.
TYPES OF PROGRAMMES
Volunteers should be aware that while they will receive more information about Ghana and about VOLU on confirmation to a project and at the preparation weekend they may not receive further details about the exact nature of the work involved. This by no means reflects on the quality of the projects.
PHOTOS, NEWSLETTER, VIDEOS AND BLOGS
- VOLU – Voluntary Association of Ghana is one of the oldest and most established ‘Workcamp’ organisations in Africa. Founded in 1956, it is a non-political, non-sectarian organisation, whose main aims are to organise volunteer projects, to support poor communities to ‘help themselves’ and to promote intercultural and interracial understanding.