- Population: 9.6 million
- Capital: Minsk
- Major languages: Russian, Belarusian
- Major religions: Christianity
- Monetary unit: Belarusian rouble
- Find out more useful information about Belarus by clicking here.
- Further reading can be found here
- Visa: Required to enter or transit Belarus. This includes anyone travelling by train on popular routes such as Warsaw-Moscow and St Petersburg-Kiev. If you attempt to transit Belarus without a visa, the border authorities will send you to Minsk to obtain the appropriate visa. You may also be required to pay a fine of up to $300 and you may face deportation. Belarusian diplomatic offices and consulates issue visas.With effect from 1 September 2012, you must obtain a visa before travelling if there is a Belarusian Embassy or Consulate in the country of your citizenship. There is a Belarusian Embassy in the UK. Visas will still be available on arrival at Minsk National airport, but only if there is no Belarusian Embassy or Consulate in the country of your citizenship.Please visit www.fco.gov.uk for more information.
- Arrival info: Volunteers will be met at the airport and their will be an orientation in Minsk on the first day of the project. LYVS will assist volunteers to arrange travel around the country before or after the project if required.
- Other: Due to the political climate in Belarus and difficulty securing funding for projects, project work can be liable to change. We ask that volunteers applying for these projects take this into account and be especially flexible and open-minded. For more information, please visit www.fco.gov.uk
TYPES OF PROGRAMMES
PHOTOS, VIDEOS, NEWSLETTERS AND BLOGS
- Check out our gallery for the latest photos of our volunteers and their projects
- Check out our newsletter
- Read blogs from other volunteers
- LYVS – League of Youth Voluntary Service was officially founded in 1994. It is a non-governmental, non-profit organization and member of the National Council of non-governmental youth organisations, Co-ordinating Committee for International Voluntary Service (CCIVS) and associated member of the Alliance of European Voluntary Service Organisations. It is based on the principle of free membership. It assists young people in accomplishing initiatives based on volunteer work. LYVS cooperates with organizations in more than 20 countries, involving over 5,000 people.